Sunday, June 18, 2006

My tribute to my Dad:

You know Dad didn't have too many years here on Earth, but I know that he sure impacted the lives of many people - especially mine!
My Dad was called "Merk" by everyone or "Uncle Merk" or "Grandpa Merk" - Mom wasn't crazy about the name Harold, and somehow "Hal" just didn't fit. It was years and years before my cousins Jim and Skip ever knew that his name was Harold.
Dad and I did everything together when he wasn't working those really long hours at McDonnell. We both loved the outdoors and he would take me hunting, fishing, boating , water skiing - you know, I never ended up shooting anything, but it was just great being with Dad. At least, Dad bought me jeans and boots to wear and I didn't have to wear the frilly dresses Mom loved for me to wear.
Dad was probably the most honest, fair, straight shooter I have every known. His word was truly his bond- which is remarkable for the way he was brought up! He always made sure that I knew that he loved me - he said those words were never spoken to him before he married the love of his life - my Mom.
He was unbelievably respected at work, although it was truly a huge ulcer factory. In St.Louis he was a General Forman in charge of the final flight line. The big wigs from the service would always come to Dad and ask when a plane was going to be ready to fly - which meant they did not believe Dad's supervisors, and he would always tell them the truth to the best of his ablility. Many times his honestly cost him promotions - but you know, when he transferred to Florida from St. Louis, I think every custodian in the plant wanted to shake his hand before he left. To Mom and I that spoke volumes.
Dad was so proud that I graduated from College, married Mike and had two beautiful children. He really did bust his "buttons" about his two grandchildren. I am so happy that they both still remember him. I do remember Cindy crying when Grandpa died and she said, "but who is going to fix my broken toys?"
To Dad I was always "Jo" or "Gizmo" - to me he was "Dad" or "Daddy". He just had a special way about him, if he said something, you had better do it right then. I ask him once after I had kids, "how did you accomplish that with me?" He just smiled and said, " you will figure out the formula, I know you are going to be a great Mom."
Dad's heart was just not strong and he suffered several heart attacks after he retired at the age of 55. He actually had a near -death experience during one of his episodes. I remember standing at his bedside and he reached out and held my hand and said, "Jo, I am really no longer afraid of dying - I am really at peace about it." "Jo, I want you to be at peace about it because I know I am going to a better place where I will wait for you". This really had an impact on my life and at Dad's funeral Mom and I were able to rejoice and celebrate Dad's wonderful life. I miss him more than words can say, but when I look down at my hands and see my Dad's hands, I always smile and say a short prayer of thankfulness for my Dad.

2 comments:

patsy said...

i am glad you had a good dad.

Galla Creek said...

I enjoy seeing a glimpse of a man I never knew. I am glad he taught you a love of the outdoors. I love
being outside so much more than in the house. I wish I could fly fish...it looks so hard. You have to go north of here to do it. Where I live it is too hot for trout.

I hope that Lisa Reed will fix the blog so we can respond to her. We need to get a big circle going...it is so much fun--a reunion with going anywhere.

I was thinky Cindy and Laura and Lisa and Erin are 3rd cousins...Someday I hope they can meet.