Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Finally: My Senior Year '59/'60

I was really happy when my senior year arrived at Normandy High School. I did not have any thoughts of going to college - I was going to be a secretary and had excelled in all the vocational courses necessary to get a good job when I graduated.
Well, one slumber party night - Marilyn said, " I really think you are going to be sad if you stay home and do not go to college." Sooooo - just before Thanksgiving I went to visit William Jewell College in Liberty, MO. I fell in love with the school - very small, Southern Baptist, liberal arts college. My Mom and Dad were in a state of shock when I came home from the weekend and said that I wanted to go to Jewell. Grade -wise and being an only child did not set me up for any scholarships.
My senior year was not the happiest of times, but I truly kept very active in many extra curricular activities. I was especially happy to be the first page editor for the school newspaper - it was the only thing I tried out for and actually made besides sports. I had made Senior Varsity on the Women's field hockey team, but after my Dad came and saw the first game I started in - he made me quit. He said it was much too dangerous for me to play on the team....
I was able to take swimming instructions at school and I became certified to be a lifeguard. This really helped with summer jobs, however, I usually was so tan that Mom thought maybe I should carry around my birth certificate to prove that I was "white".
Marilyn and I spent many hours together during our senior year - we were kind of on the outs with the group we use to run around with. We managed to keep our sanity and graduate - Marilyn with honors. I was just happy to be in the top 10th of the class and be accepted to Jewell. By the summer all was well with the group, and we are all still very good friends. Marilyn is lucky because she still lives in St.Louis and hads lunch frequently with the group.

1 comment:

patsy said...

don't blame you father for making you quit, i would have also