Monday, June 19, 2006

1959: Visiting Aunt Betty

During the summer of 1959, we traveled out to see Aunt Betty and her family in California. I was lucky enough to get to take my best friend, Marilyn, along on the trip.
Aunt Betty had not given us a clue that it would be very cold in San Fransico in July - thus we took clothes along like we would wear for a hot summer in St. Louis. Luckily, we had each packed one pair of slacks and a sweater. We should have gotten a clue when Aunt Betty and Uncle Chuck built a fire in the fire place the first evening.
My cousins Bobby and Timmy loved to tease and pester us. For instance, every morning our air mattresses would have the air let out of them. They thought it was hilarous to "dare" us to do things - like riding the mule bareback!
The most surprising thing about the visit was that my folks let us take a greyhound bus into San Fransico by ourselves. However, they did get a little alarmed when they heard that the fleet had landed on the same day we were sightseeing. We actually did not get lost, and my favorite part was eating at Fisherman's Warf. This was the trip I fell in love with eating fresh crab meat - I do, however, remember Bobby chasing me around the house with a live crab from Fisherman's Warf before Uncle Chuck boiled it for us. It really took a lot for me to take the first bite of that blue crab.
The trip home was really interesting - the transmission started going out on the car, so we drove straight through from Wyoming to St.Louis. Dad's main comment about the trip was that he never knew girls could talk and giggle so much. Great, great memories of the only time I was ever in California.

1 comment:

patsy said...

i wish we could see tim some time but guess we never will, bobby says he still lives in aunt betty's house in norther ca.