Saturday, June 10, 2006

Teacher's License for Melton and Gertrude

Grandma and Grandpa traveled over to Eureka Springs Arkansas to take their Teacher Test. I hope these came through all right. Grandma gave these to me when I graduated from William Jewell College with my BA in Elementary Education. I was so thrilled to get them.
I hope the picture of the scores comes through, it seems Grandma saw fit to change the scores before she turned them over to me.
Originally Grandpa's scores were higher than Grandma's. However, once I was given the licenses I noticed that on the scoring there was some blue ink on the score tallies. Some how Grandma came up with a score of 947, where as Grandpa mysteriously ended up with a score of 936. Somehow his Physiology score turned into a 73 - I always thought this was a riot. Of course Mom and Winn said that there was no way that "Mom" beat "Pop" - but you know if it made her happy in 1964, so be it.
I really hope these come through good enough for you to read. It states that both took the test on June 18, 1910 and that you had to have an average of 75% in all Branches. Nothing below 65% to be considered.

5 comments:

patsy said...

the licn. were fine I down loaded them and could enlarge them and read them. i think aunt fleta and winnie were right about the score but you know grandpa loved grandma he wouldn't had cared if she did change the score

Galla Creek said...

I know he would have never changed the score. If the picture I have of him (from others as I can not remember) is one of absolute honesty. No fibbing...that is just telling lies...is how he would have seen it.

yes, I could read it really plainly. I think Grandma would have chuckled in that she fooled me. I thought, oh my, Grandma scored higher than Grandpa!

When I stayed all night, I would try to get her to tell me about the Powells...she was very closed month about them, but love to speak of James Gunter Maples. He was a wagon master and she had the shell that he blew to round up the wagons. He brought families from Tenn. and Ga. to AR. He first settled near Lead Hill where his first wife, Mary Joanna Harvey Maples died. He moved to near Carrollton and married the widow Ann Catherine Tate Slover. her first husband went to the gold rush in CA in 1849 and died there.

Grandma passed ...lots of folks failed. I am reading again a book Patsy told me was so good--A Candle within her Soul. Mary's sister Deal could not pass the exam and could not teach. A two year certificate let you teach 2 years. A one year gave you one year. A three year gave you 3 years of teaching.

Grandma taught at Pleasant Grove? is what Aunt Winnie told Fleta. that is near Maples Cut where she lived! Patsy I may have the wrong name of the place. Correct me--you know how my mind does not work.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure - I always had thought it was Sunny Lane, but you know I heard alot about the Maples Cut also - I even mentioned that in Winnie's eulogy.
I remember Grandma talking about the boys being so much larger than her in the one room school house - I just can't even imagine.

Sister--Helen said...

Daddy had told me this story many times but we never seen the certificates.It was a joy to view them. I just double clicked on them and you could read them plain as day....Granny's was in the Maples name...was this before she was married or just used that name.

patsy said...

this was before she married, after she married she never taught again because grandpa thought her place was in the home. that was a major sore point with grandma but she must have known when she married she would not work out side the home anymore.
I don't think she missed the job, I think she missed making her own money and she did many things over the years to bring money into the home. her chicken thing was to make money.
Grandma and the children did much of the farm work and grandpa tought school.
I think all the maples women were inclined that way and grandpa gave her praise for her management skills.