Friday, June 09, 2006

New House - '49:

We were finally able to buy a house in 1949, just before I was to go into 3rd Grade. We had been living in a duplex since I was born and I had completed 2nd grade. Dad was awarded some money because of his major hand injury - many people tried to get him to invest in Indian Point at Branson, but Dad wanted us to have a home. He had been moved 15 times alone when he was in grade school and he was determined that that would never happen to me.
The two cars you see below were a '48 Buick Roadmaster, dark green and stick shift. The other car is a little yellow and black Crossley ( Dad drove it to work). He tried everything to teach Mom to drive the buick and even sent her to driving school where she passed with flying colors. Now it's hard to imagine my father making a person nervous driving(ha-ha), but he made Mom a wreck. The incident I remember most is when she ran through a red light( I was in the back seat, of course) and Dad ask her why in the h-- she just did that? Her response, " I thought you were going to tell me to do that!"
Well the next day he traided in the buick he loved, and bought an automatic, light blue chevy coupe with an automatic transmission and I don't think she ever drove again with him as a passenger!

5 comments:

patsy said...

i really thought that aunt Fleta and Harold had a good life. It so sad that her memory went and she couldn"t look back on thoese happy years.
Aunt Thelma had her memory more or less till the end and no doubt they were bitter.
Aunt Betty had to go to the mountains in California with Chuck after he retired and all she ever wanted was to live her in her old age.
Her plan was to move here when Uncle Chuck died and she died first.

Sister--Fleta said...

I can relate to the wife driving thing. My husband hates to ride in the passenger seat, and when it is neccessary he insists on telling the driver how to drive. But I do not handle being told what to do well. I onces stopped the car on a freeway and walked around to the passenger side and told him to get out and get in the driver's side. I have also told him to shutup! Well, maybe shut the H--- Up.

Isn't it nice that today we are driving to Sprinddale (over 1 hour away) to a dr's appt for him. I will have to drive back cause he works third shift. He better hope he goes to sleep right away, or I may open the door and push him out.

Fleta Mae

Galla Creek said...

Win, our Mother never learned to drive, but she drove!!! This was a dangerous happening. She would gun the gas and whiz away to Green Forest and park "behind" the grocery store. She never had a license, but would "drive to town" to wash at the laundramat or buy a week's supply of food. I have gone along and never knew that all Moms did not drive this way until I was 12 or 13 and old enough to be scared. I don't think she ever wrecked which is a miracle!

This may be a husband thing about driving...mine does it too; so, I just nearly refuse to drive with him in the car. both my kids grab the seat rest when I drive. They have heard their father tutor my driving until they think now as adults the job is theirs!

patsy said...

I alway had to drive no matter where or when dillard never said a word about my driving. Actually that is the only thing i can remember that he didn't critize me about.

Erin said...

i believe i am the critic in our family. oh dear. i've turned into my father.

we went to see greg's dad and step mom this week. they drove us across joplin. the whole way she was constantly -- critisizing. the worst i've ever heard. greg said i was an angel compared to her.