Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dad and Winn in 42:
This picture was taken before either of them had had their horrible accidents. I already told you about Dad, but I think it is important that you all know what happened to Aunt Winnie. This is what I remember being told: Aunt Winnie and Becky had to find some gainful employment other than the Beauty Shop, so Dad got Winn on at McDonnell. I not sure of the year, but I think it was late '42 or '43. Winn was carpooling to work and there were alot of people jammed into one car. Winn was sitting up front with 3 other people and when they went around a corner, the door flew open and Winnie was thrown from the car. She was taken to the hospital and my parents were told that she had 7 different concusions and that she was very critical. All I know from there is that she survived, but it was a slow process regaining memory.
I remember that if we were having conversation about a particular thing, and Winn did not remember it that way, we wouldn't argue about it - there were just blanks in memory that would never recover and it was a frustration to her. Thank the good Lord that is all that came out of what could have been a tragedy in all our lives.

2 comments:

patsy said...

i don't remember hearing that at all. maybe i have forgot .

Sister--Helen said...

I had never heard of it but that is no surprise... thank goodness for Winnie so we know all of these things about our Aunts and cousins I never knew.