Saturday, June 10, 2006

Gathering at the farm

Back in '48 this must have been a real effort to get the whole group together, but I am ever so thankful that they did. I have this grouping of pictures all in the album together with Grandma and Grandpa. I just really remember these being very happy times, but you know - we were just as worried about paying for gas then as we are now! This is the trip I so remember when Grandpa took a bunch of us little ones into town in his old car. Just think, no seat belts, no airconditioning and I wasn't even sure Grandpa had breaks. He would run down one hill real fast so that he would make it up the next hill. He always drove right in the middle of the road and I don't think we ever met another car on the road. In my minds eye, the trip with Grandpa in his car were just as scary as any roller coaster ride I have ever been on - maybe that's why I have always had such a fear of those kind of rides.

4 comments:

patsy said...

thank so much for posting these pictures. i didn't have any of them tho there was 2 or 3 floating around and i think one of my sister have them hide away. the reunion in 48 was a great time. grandpa's sister came do you have a picture of her. if so post it. i think it was tilly. also uncle jess's family was there and i believe that some of grandma's sisters family.

Sister--Helen said...

What month would have this been? Just look, none of the girls look pregnant. Winnie and Mama just had babies months before.

Sister--Helen said...

Ya know Winnie, I am sure you have taken over the 'First Read' spot in our family. We all used to jump on and read pat's Blog 1st but now I log into yours first each time I get on the computer. I'll bet those other Sisters do also!

Galla Creek said...

I check each morning when I rise to meet the day...to see what Win has to say...I am filled each day
with joy...To see the jewels and another story!

Daddy said Grandpa thought it was so silly that the "officials" wanted you to drive on a certain side of the road. He refused to do it. He said the middle was where it was safest and that is where he would be!