Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Sisterly Love

Sisterly Love:
Below you see a picture of Aunt Winnie holding me. Mom always said that they would not have made it without Winnie. You see, I was born August 27, 1942 and on August 28, 1942 my Dad was injured very seriously at McDonnell Aircraft. Dad had all his fingers cut off in a sheet metal cutting machine( he was the first major accident at the plant). So - he was in one hospital and Mom was in another with me.
The rehab for my Dad was unbelievable, but Winn worked with him everyday to help him regain the use of his fingers - the doctors said it was going to be an impossible task - but his true determination and Winn's Powell stuborness allowed him to keep and use the fingers on his right hand. Afterwards they all laughed and said that the bandage on Dad's hand was bigger than me - I only weighed 5lb.1oz. Winnie put everything on hold and was truly their "angel".

1 comment:

patsy said...

i remember uncle Harold squezing a rubber ball to help get the use of his hand back.