Saturday, June 10, 2006

Remembering our Grandparents:

When I think back and remember our grandparents, a smile always comes across my face. They treated me with such love and affection and WOW what role models they were!
I really don't ever remember them saying one cross word to me. Grandpa always had concerns that I might get hurt, but he soon learned that I could take care of myself.
I often tell people that my grandparents were certainly ahead of most people of their time. The truly valued education. Times were extrememly hard and they tried to scratch a living out of the soil. They sold milk, raised chicken and had a fantastic garden and good water. They even survived a cyclone that tore down the house and the barn. But they saved all their children by using feather mattresses and the old oak table.
My Mom always said Grandma hated house work and that as a child she was always disappointed in the way Grandma sewed their clothes. They had absolutely no shape to them, but Mom said she did the best she could - I think she was shocked when she saw what a beautiful hand she had at making quilts.
I know that my faith in God certainly was passed down through my grandparents to Mom and then to me. I use to love to go to Sunny Lane and listen to Grandpa teach - he was so beloved by all his neighbors and the community. Mom always said that whenever someone had a problem or they were sick they would come to "Pop" no matter what the hour or day or night.
I am so glad that I was fortunate to have these two wonderful people in my life - they were a treasure and I look forward someday to seeing them all in Heaven.

3 comments:

patsy said...

aman!

Galla Creek said...

I think Daddy said they lived in the Chicken house for a while. Is this correct Win?

What courage they had!

Unknown said...

That was the story that Mom told also- it certainly was something my Mom never forgot.