Sunday, June 11, 2006

My grade school years

I have searched through pics everywhere, but this is the only Girl Scout picture I can find. The reason I want to post this is to tell you that my Mom, a person that did not like camping or outside stuff, was my scout leader from the time I was in 3rd Grade until the end of 9th Grade. This period of time involved a lot of camping and Whipporwill's hanging out over her tent all night. Jim and Skip were also kind of mascots for my troup - especially Jim. Mom had us all cook out in our backyard one time on some kind of coffee can cooker we each made - I shared mine with Jim. When we had to make pancakes I certainly remember him melting his plastic fork in my pancakes.
Most of the time from 5th grade through 7th my Dad worked the second shift at McDonnell. I very seldom saw him during those years except on the weekends. I really never was a morning person, and bless his heart, he would try to stay up until I got up in the mornings - he would always say "Good Morning Sunshine" and I would absolutely grumble at him. When I look back, I really look at the wasted morning moments that I wish I could take back.

No comments: