Sunday, June 11, 2006

July 15, 1954

My records all show that this is the day Grandpa died. I still have so many memories of the days leading up to July 15th. I think we were there at least a week before his passing. I remember sitting with Grandpa by his bedside in their bedroom, putting cool towels on his head and Aunt Thelma and Uncle Floyd giving him shots to keep him comfortable.
I remember Daddy comforting Mom, she was so distraught and because she really thought after we arrived that he would get better and make it through this spell - she soon came to the realization that he wasn't going to battle to get better in her opinion.
I am pleased that my parents allowed me to go through the stages with Grandpa and that I was allowed to go to the funeral. I remember there being a lot of discussion about me going over to stay with Gene and Valence, but I told my parents I really wanted to attend Grandpa's funeral.
The day of the funeral was probably the hottest day I remember in my life - there hadn't been rain in weeks. I remember each car going at intervals down the lane and each taking the opposite direction because the dust from each car was enough to choke the one behind. There sure must have been a great deal of discussion about how we would all get to Sunny Lane, because it sure is a vivid memory.
I truly remember the church being packed and we all had paper fans - the tears seemed to turn into mud on our faces. However, the most powerful part of the whole day is that I remember truly hearing the promise that Melton was now in Heaven - my young heart really did calm and rejoice. I learned that you can have great sorrow and rejoice that Grandpa wasn't suffering anymore and that he was in a better place. What a lesson for a 12 year old to hear and understand.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I was only 4 years old and do not
remember any of these days. I can
vaguely remember Daddy lifting me
up to see Grandpa one last time
at the funeral.

Floyd was a medic in the Army is I recall correctly.

Unknown said...

That is what I remember about Uncle Floyd also - I remember that the Dr. showed Floyd exactly what and the amount of paind medicine he should give his "Pop".