Wednesday, March 26, 2008

South Pacific...

I recently watched a movie from my past, and it is called "South Pacific" ~ in High School this was the theme of our Senior Prom and I just loved the movie, so seeing it again brought back many found memories.
I was particularly struck once again by the song, "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" and I really think the words from this song should be listened to by each of us. The theme of the song is that racism is not born in you! Racism happens after you are born!
As much as everyone has tried to make us white folks understand that we don't have a background of oppression, so we are not able to relate to what Pastor Wright is saying, I just don't understand why Obama went to that church for over 20 years. Apparently he was not outraged by what was being said from the pulpit.
However, my biggest objection is that this bigotry towards white people is what the little children in that church today are hearing and being taught......there is no mistake about the words that are being said. Barack took his children to this church Sunday after Sunday. In my way of thinking~ "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" before you are 6, 7 or 8, just like the lyrics to the song say.

5 comments:

Galla Creek said...

You are correct in saying that we must be so careful what we teach our children. I would say his wife liked the church....don't you think. She is of a different background than Barack and I think this was her church of choice.

We go to Larry's church of choice. I like that he is the head of our family and taking us to church. He has not always been in this fashion and it is nice to hear him say 'we can't miss church'. and such.

I am having a good week off...taking it easy. Have jury duty Monday 31st in L Rock. Have to be there a 8. This time when I put in for a sub and if they cancell my jury duty I am just staying home that day...

Galla Creek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
patsy said...

we can not relate to the black people in this country. we can only try to teach our own children .as for Obama and the church this church is the largest black church in chicago and no doubt had much to do with the work he did on the streets in chichgo.Also he had to prove he wasn't muslim in this election.since we don't have any idea as what the black churches are in chicago to choise from how can we find fault in his choice?

Unknown said...

After listening to the tapes provided by Pastor Wright, I can find plenty of fault. Obama was outraged at Don Imus (with just cause), and yet he can explain away his own pastor who says much worse about whites~from the pulpit, week after week. I fault him for allowing his own children to hear time after time this horrible bigotry from a man that is teaching about God. I think it is shameful. I have never heard a preacher, personally speak this kind of stuff, except for one preacher that spoke horrible about Catholics from the pulpit, and I never went back.
One black announcer explained that Obama had to go to this church to show that he was black because he wasn't black enough for the blacks.
I know I don't have all the answers and I am not to judge, but I do get irrate when little children are subjected to this type of tyrate against another race. Words spoken can not be taken back or glossed over. Yes, he has made his choice and as far as I am concerned he can live with the choice that I think will keep him from being President.

Sister--Helen said...

Make no mistake he joined that church because it was so big.....great for his political career.....I live in Morman City and years ago knew if I joined the Mormon Church back in 95 when I was in real Estate I knew it would help me sell more houses but decided it was not worth rotting in Hell for!!1