Monday, June 26, 2006

Jewell Years: 1960 - 1964

I absolutely loved being at William Jewell College in Liberty, Mo. I met life-long friends and met my husband - to be- at Jewell.
I was extremely involved with my sorority, Union Board and intermurals. In intermurals I soon found out that we didn't play sports as rough as the girls did from small towns. I only watched and cheered basketball from a far.
While I was at Jewell, I met and became life-long friends with two very special girls. The first, is my friend Becky from Willow Springs, MO. The second, is my friend Diana from Liberty, MO. I am so blessed to have these two very dear friends in my life still today. Becky lives in Little Rock and Diana lives in Hurst, TX. We see each other very little, but do we ever spend time on the phone.
I knew my husband to-be, but we never dated the four years we were at Jewell. We laugh today because I thought he was a stuck-up jock and he thought I was a stuck-up sorority girl. We actually ended up dating during the summer of 1965 after we saw each other at a wedding where we were both participants in the wedding.
After the wedding we were both heading back to St.Louis for the summer - we exchanged phone numbers and that next week Mike came out to my folks house for a visit. My parents actually liked him the first time they met him. Mike rode his motorscooter out to the house, came in all sweaty, and went right into the living room and sat down on the forbidden ice-blue couch. ( We had all always teased that Mom had a gold chain at the entrance to the living room - no one ever went into the living room- it was just for show!)
In August we both returned to other side of the state - Kansas City. I was teaching 1st Grade for the North Kansas City Schools and Mike was teaching PE and Math for Kearney, MO. He was also the head football coach - so dating consisted of going to football games for the first couple of months. I drove to some strange sounding little towns on Friday, like Faucett.
Over Christmas of 1965, Mike and I were engaged. The wedding was July 23, 1966.

4 comments:

patsy said...

if i had been able to go in aunt fleta's house i would have known better than set on her ice blue couch!

patsy said...

remember how aunt fleta would get all excited talking about her base ball team? she was a fun.

Galla Creek said...

I am glad you found your Mike. He sounds like a really great guy. You are lucky that he did not drag you all over MO. as he went from
coaching job to coaching job moving up the coaching ladder. I know a lot of coaches that do that. They stay at one place from 1 to 5 years and move on to the next chasing that dream they have of being a football coach.

Basketball is my favorite as Clayton was so good at it. I have never coached any sport but did teach a class in gymnastics for several years. Now my P. E. classes are 6th and 7th grade. They love P.E. and make my job easier. I do not want to teach anything else...more and more stuff
the state says we have to teach and the children have to master. The students are tested on these items. In this comptuer age, they can check to see what you kids mastered. It is very scarry for a teacher. It is hard to get a knot on a log to learn anything that he does not want to learn. I am happy to be in the gym. If I can walk, I will continue there several more years.

We do a thing called t drop after 28 years, I have participated in this 5 years. They are paying my retirement into a fund and it is "all" mine. When I retire, I will receive my retirement
monthly, but also this fund that is building up. At 59 I can draw this out or roll it over or whatever I want to do.

I guess your Jewell years were really a jewel!

patsy said...

what happen are you taking another holiday?